Thursday, March 15, 2018

Fat Bike Birkie Race Recap

Drawing over 1,000 racers over 18 states and several countries, the Fat Bike Birkie is the largest Fat Bike Race in the country.  We get to race on the Legendary Cross Country Ski trail of American Birkebeiner located in Cable, WI.  Many consider this the National Championships of Fat Bike Racing.
Some would say it's like a road race but on fat tires in the snow.  Wide open, hard packed and no single track.  You've got the option to race a 21k or 47k course.  Morning of the race it was a beautiful sunny and 20 degrees, great day for a ride.  The volunteers were diligent about grooming this course to perfection and it was perfect.

 The gun went off and we had a moderated roll out.  We were not allowed to pass the leading snowmobile.  The rollout was to slow, you've got hundreds of adrenaline filled racers ready to jam and we were held back.  This caused some mayhem.  Feeling claustrophobic, I immediately went on the defensive, the way you'd drive through downtown Chicago.  Had to pull some quick maneuvers to avoid early pile ups.  After about a half mile they set us free and as the pace picked up, I saw a few of the guys I normally race neck and neck with ride away from me and I knew immediately that I was not "on form."  There are days you feel so strong and powerful, you can pin every climb and hold any wheel.  And there are days when you feel the burn waaaay to early.  I knew I'd need to rely on smart strategy to hold a podium spot. 

The first 6.5 miles (about 30 minutes) is a climb to the top of the mountain.  Push to hard and you risk bonking before you're even a 4th of the way in.  I was in a group with a few guys, Ami Stuart and Megan Barr, 2 of the girls I knew were also fighting for that top spot.  Only a couple miles in we got passed by Jill Cederholm, she was climbing like a Mountain Lion.  Split second decision to either chase or let her go was to let her go.  I knew that if I put to much in and hit a wall to early would not only knock me off the top spot but also off the podium. 



By the time I made it to the highest point it was down to Megan and me.  We had found ourselves a nice pack to roll with.  Thing is, I thought I'd be struggling keeping up with the guys on the descents but come to find a few were holding me back.  The next group up was about 100 maybe 200 yards away.  I decided to make a break for them, they were going just slightly faster then my group and if I could latch onto them I could start building a gap between me and Megan.  I made it about half way til I realized maybe that wasn't such a good idea.  Do I push even harder, risking an unrecoverable blow up or wait for my pack and for the next opportunity to get away.  I am convinced that what happened next is what solidified my 2nd place finish.  My Broken Spoke Racing teammate, Bob Mach, rolls up on my left, reading my mind, says, "I'll get you there."  He pulled me to the group ahead where I was able to sit in while building the gap on Megan.  This is where having a team is crucial.  I've raced 12 times since the New Year and I've had a chance to ride alongside, working together with my teammates in every single one of those races. 

7 Guy Sprint for the 3rd spot on the Podium
The climbing was relentless and recovery was minimal.  Ever been to Great America where you have to wait in line for the ride for 30 minutes to get that 30 second thrill ride?  By the time I hit the 5k left to go sign, I was done.  Holding on for dear life, I watched over a dozen guys pass me.  I kept looking back praying there were no ponytails approaching.  Why the hell was I bonked out? it had only been 2 hours.  I just raced for 4 hours at the Polar Roll and another 3 hours at the Sweaty Yeti without bonking out, why was I now at only 2 hours?  Oh yeah, maybe that's why.  I didn't train this winter like I had last winter in efforts to avoid burnout halfway through Mt. Biking season.  But, I raced every single weekend.  I am learning that while racing can help with fitness and build mental toughness, it can also destroy your legs and mind when you go overboard. 

 
 Was happy at the finish as I had secured my 2nd visit to the podium at the Fat Bike Birkie!  Never would I had ever thought I'd ever be in contention at a massive event like this.  Surreal to me still.  I really wanted to defend the title, and was disappointed of course that I didn't.  Yet something reminded me of how special it is to stand on any step of the podium.


Leia Schnneber 2nd - Jill Cederholm 1st - Heather Stelljes 3rd


Like a dummy I took too long in changing and missed the awards.  This killed me as it really pisses me off when someone doesn't show up for the podium.  Who do you think you are that you can't wait around for a bit and get up there to accept the recognition for what you achieved?  You know how many people would kill to be up there?  Make sacrifices, work their asses off, train for years and may never make it up there.  I remember watching awards and being in awe of those that were there.  The first time I ever made a podium I was a little in shock and SOOOO STOKED!  I felt really bad, so bad I went to the organizers and asked if we could have a redo.  They were open to it as they hadn't given the other's their champion sweatshirts and wanted a picture with us in them.  So I rounded up the girls and they were gracious enough to stand again. 

Bunch of the Ladies that Volunteered

Next stop was the Notorious After Party at the Saw Mill.  I have yet to make it out of there without being dragged out.  Best part of the weekend is eating pizza, drinking beers (or Long Island Ice Teas), telling the tales of the race and cutting loose with awesome cyclists and friends. 

Looking forward to a couple months off from racing and resting up for the Wisconsin Off Road Series.   

Thanks to all those that put this event together.


My Nutrition:  www.hammernutrition.com
I used Heed in my water bottle and 3 of the Vanilla gels.
I like to have a consistent calorie flow from my liquids and I take a gel every 45 minutes.  Soon after the race I drank the Chocolate Recoverite, which is so yummy. 

Massage by Tuesday after a race weekend is Clutch!

My Man:  Mr. Ryan Rollins for supporting me in every way possible. 


1 comment: